Naoko Ishii has served as the CEO and Chairperson for the Global Environment Facility (GEF) since August 2012. In October 2015, the GEF Council unanimously agreed to extend her tenure for the second term until August 2020.
Previously, Ms. Ishii was the Deputy Vice Minister of Finance of Japan, where she was responsible for Japan's international financial and development policies, and for its global policies on environmental issues such as climate change and biodiversity. She led the Japanese delegation at the Transition Committee for designing the Green Climate Fund.
For nearly half of her career, Ms. Ishii has served on international assignments, including at the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund.
At the World Bank, Ms. Ishii was the Country Director for Sri Lanka and the Maldives (2006-2010). She also served as the World Bank's country program coordinator for Vietnam (1997-2001), a project manager at the Harvard Institute for International Development (1996-1997), an economist at the International Monetary Fund (1992-1995) working on Africa and Asia, and a visiting fellow at the Center for International Affairs at Harvard University (1984-1985).
Ms. Ishii taught sustainable development and environment at Keio University. She has published numerous papers and several books, two of which were awarded the Suntory Prize (1990) and Okita Memorial Prize for International Development Research (2004). She is the inaugural recipient of the 2006 Enjoji Jiro Memorial Prize.
She holds a B.A. and a Ph.D. from the University of Tokyo.
IN THE NEWS
- Impact Fund Surpasses $17 Million for Sustainable Coastal Fisheries in Indonesia and the Philippines, Hawaii News Now
- Adaptation Fund: 10 Years of Innovation, Action & Learning, Adaptation Fund
- Belgium provides extra 7 million EUR for Least Developed Countries Fund, Government of Belgium
- More Coordinated and More Impactful: What a Common Sustainable Urban Development Strategy among IFIs is Leading to from Global Platform for Sustainable Cities
- Defining moment, UN Environment, "Our Planet" Magazine
- Future visions: The talks of TEDGlobalNYC, TED
- Mainstreaming the Circular Economy Model - panel discussion, World Economic Forum
- Only Green Growth can bring prosperity, The Guardian
- New convention calls time on mercury poisoning, UN Environment
- Women's Crucial Role in Combating Climate Change, The New York Times
- Adaptation Fund Board Greenlights Record 13 Project Submissions, Appoints New Leadership at 29th Meeting, Adaptation Fund
- Meet 9 badass women fighting climate change in cities, GreenBiz
- The Many Benefits of Industrial Energy Efficiency: Interactive UNFCCC Dialogue Explored Policies for Reaping Benefits, UNFCCC Newsroom
- C40 Financing Sustainable Cities Forum, Government of London
- Cities must lure private dollars fast to meet climate goals, Eco-Business
- EBRD President concludes visit to the United States, The Financial
- How can we avoid a climate change catastrophe? Al Gore and Davos leaders respond, World Economic Forum
- $400 Million Fund Launched in Davos to Stop Tropical Deforestation and Boost Farming, World Economic Forum
- Interview with Naoko Ishii at CBD COP 13, UN News Centre
- Naoko Ishii: Social norms and the barriers to progression, Thomson Reuters