Please note: the Introduction Seminar is only open for invited participants.
The 2021 GEF Introduction Seminar will take place virtually from February 22 to 25, 2021.
The event brings together GEF Agencies, GEF focal points and the GEF Secretariat. It is an opportunity for focal points to meet with their counterparts from other countries in the region and other GEF partners to discuss and review policies and procedures and to share lessons and experiences from development and implementation of GEF projects and their integration within national policy frameworks.
Prior to attending the Introduction Seminar, please complete the free e-course : Introduction to the GEF
This is available through the GEF Academy and provides an overview of the GEF.
By completing the course, you will gain knowledge of the GEF’s mission, history, and institutional structure. You will understand the organizing principles and areas of work in the 7th GEF replenishment period (GEF-7). You will also learn about key cross-cutting issues; the basics of GEF funding and its operational policies, as well as the results framework for GEF-7.
The e-course has five topical sections, each with short quizzes on what you have learned, and requires approximately 90 minutes to complete in one sitting; but you can also take it at your own pace. You will receive a certificate upon completion.
Daily Session Videos
Training and Readings
Important: brief online courses and readings have to be done BEFORE the day they are discussed
DAY 1 - FEBRUARY 22, MONDAY
- (REQUIRED) E-course - Introduction to the Global Environment Facility (GEF) in English, Spanish, and French
- GEF-7 Corporate Scorecard
- Country Factsheet Introduction
- Country Profiles
- Initial GEF-7 STAR Country Allocations
- Latest Work Program
- GEF-7 Programming Directions
DAY 2 – FEBRUARY 23, TUESDAY
- Private Sector Engagement Strategy and Implementation Plan
- Blended Finance/Non-Grant Instruments
- Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF)
- The Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF)
- Updated Operational Guidelines: Guidelines on the Project and Program Cycle Policy (2020 Update) - available in: English | French | Spanish | Russian | Portuguese
- Monitoring Policy
- GEF Monitoring Report 2019
- Cancellation Policy
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Project Preparation and Implementation: Overview of Responses from Across the GEF Partnership
- Updated Policy on Minimum Fiduciary Standards
DAY 3 – FEBRUARY 24, WEDNESDAY
- Policies and Guidelines
- Knowledge and Learning
- Video - Kaleo
- Small Grants Programme
- Civil Society Organizations
- Country Support Program
DAY 4 – FEBRUARY 25, THURSDAY
- E-course - Unlocking Adaptation Funding (WB Learning only) in English, Spanish, and French
- Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel (STAP)
- GEF Independent Evaluation Office (IEO)
- GEF Conflict Resolution – Voice and Right of Recourse for Affected People