Climate Action 2016 Summit to Bring Global Leaders to Washington, DC Next Week to Jump Start Momentum on the Paris Agreement on Climate Change
National, Regional and Local Government; Business; and Civil Society Leaders convene to show the way in the fight against climate change
The Mayflower Hotel, Washington, DC
May 5-6, 2016
Following the historic Paris Agreement signing ceremony at the United Nations on April 22, the Climate Action 2016 Summit will convene global leaders from government, business and civil society on May 5-6 in Washington, DC to showcase and discuss actions all sectors are already taking to make the Agreement a success. The national governments that have signed on to the Paris Agreement will need the support of international organizations, the private sector and civil society, and Climate Action 2016 will provide the forum for demonstrating actions currently underway.
Climate Action 2016 is co-hosted by a broad coalition of partners and will include dynamic plenary and working sessions with leaders and luminaries who have been at the forefront of the climate battle. In addition to the co-hosts listed below, speakers include: Sen. Ben Cardin, Maryland; Mr. Shaun Donovan, US Head of the Office of Management and Budget; The Honorable Mr. Al Gore, former Vice President, United States; Ms. Anne Hidalgo, Mayor of Paris; Dr. Jonathan Holdren, Director, White House Office of Science & Technology; Mr. Bill Nye, Science Educator; Mr. Paul Polman, CEO, Unilever; and H.E. Ms. Ségolène Royal, Minister of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy & President of COP21. For the full list of speakers and the Summit agenda go to Climateaction2016.org/#program.
- H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Dr. Jim Yong Kim, President of the World Bank Group
- Michael R. Bloomberg, UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Cities and Climate Change; Founding Partner, Compact of Mayors
- Dr. Naoko Ishii, Chief Executive Officer, Global Environment Facility
- Dr. Judith Rodin, President, Rockefeller Foundation
- Mr. Peter Bakker, Chief Executive Officer, World Business Council on Sustainable Development
- Mr. Nigel Topping, Chief Executive Officer, We Mean Business
- Dr. Wallace Loh, President, University of Maryland