At the UN Climate Change Conference this year (COP23, from 6 to 17 November) nations of the world will meet to advance the aims and ambitions of the Paris Agreement and achieve progress on its implementation guidelines.
The conference, officially referred as COP 23/ CMP 13/ CMA 1-2, will take place in Bonn, Germany, hosted by the secretariat of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), and presided over by Fiji. The UNFCCC secretariat and the Government of Fiji are closely working with the Government of Germany, the State of North Rhine-Westphalia and the City of Bonn to ensure a dynamic and successful Conference.
GEF Side Events at COP23 >> Download flyer
- Early Lessons from GEF IAPs: Increasing Impact in GEF-7 (IISD/ENBOTS coverage / IISD IAP video), 13 November 2017 (Monday), 18:30-20:00, Meeting Room 9 (Bonn Zone)
This event will present progress made under the GEF-6 Integrated Approach Pilots (IAPs) on Sustainable Cities, Taking Deforestation out of Commodity Supply Chains, and Fostering Sustainability and Resilience for Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. It will also provide an opportunity to take stock of early lessons learned from GEF-6 to inform programming under GEF-7, the next replenishment period of the GEF.
- Enhancing Transparency through the CBIT (IISD/ENBOTS coverage / IISD video), 15 November 2017 (Wednesday), 18:30-20:00, Meeting Room 12 (Bonn Zone)
This event will showcase country experiences with MRV and transparency efforts, including with the support of the Capacity-building Initiative for Transparency (CBIT). The event will also be an opportunity to explore challenges and opportunities in embracing enhanced transparency to support climate action and inform national planning and decision-making processes.
- Sub-national Action on Adaptation in and for Least Developed Countries: The role of the LDCF, 11 November 2017 (Saturday), 12:00-15:30, Ameron Hotel-koenigshof, Adenauerallee 9 (Offsite)
This side event, organized by Oxford Climate Policy and Oxford University, will provide an opportunity to discuss adaptation experiences and needs in LDCs, and the role of subnational authorities in implementing the PariAgreement by supporting the most vulnerable to adapt. The event will also shine a light on opportunities for subnational support from the developed world, including through the LDCF.
- Strengthening Collaboration for Supporting Countries in Implementing the Paris Agreement (IISD/ENBOTS coverage), 16 November 2017 (Thursday), 13:15-14:45, Meeting Room 12 (Bonn Zone)
This joint GEF/GCF side-event will present the progress made by the operating entities of the Financial Mechanism in enhancing collaboration to support countries in implementing the Paris Agreement and promoting low-carbon and climate resilient development. The event will also explore strategic ways for the entities to maximize opportunities for synergy.
- GEF Small Grants Programme Side events
- Enhancing Transparency Throught the Capacity-Building Initiative for Transparency | Video: Enhancing Capacity through the Capacity-building Initiative for Transparency (CBIT) (IISD/ENBOTS)
- Early Lessons from GEF IAPs: Increasing Impact in GEF-7 (IISD/ENBOTS) | Video: "Early Lessons from GEF Integrated Approach Pilots (IAPs): Increasing Impact in GEF-7"
- Strengthening Collaboration to Support Countries in Implementing the Paris Agreement - A Joint GEF/GCF Side Event (IISD/ENBOTS)
- Launch of the Global Centre of Excellence on Climate Adaptation (IISD/ENB+)
- Global Centre of Excellence on Climate Adaptation (Delta Alliance)
- Belgium provides extra 7 million EUR for Least Developed Countries Fund (Government of Belgium)
- Adaptation Fund to Celebrate 10 Years of Pioneering Climate Innovation, Action, and Learning at Special Bonn Event (Adaptation Fund)
- Sweden increases climate support to the most vulnerable countries (Goverment Offices of Sweden)
- Contribution to the Capacity Building Initiative for Transparency (CBIT) (Japanese Ministry of the Environment)
- "Germany Opens UN Climate Conference with EUR 50M Pledge to Adaptation Fund" (Adaptation Fund)
- "UN Climate Change Conference begins: Germany supports developing countries in climate change adaptation" (German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety)
- "UN Climate Change Conference 2017 Aims for Further, Faster Ambition Together" (UNFCCC)
- Concrete Climate Action Commitments at COP23 (UNFCCC)
- tve joins UN Climate Change at COP23 in Bonn to showcase youth climate video winners (tve)
- Philips Lighting delivers one billion LED lights as part of Global Lighting Challenge (Philips Lighting)
- ‘InsuResilience’ to Provide the Poor with More Financial Protection Against Climate Risks (announcement by UNFCCC)
- Adaptation Fund side event showcases environmental and social policies in helping ensure focus on most vulnerable (Adaptation Fund)
- Capitalising Conservation (report by WWF and Clarmondial)
- NDC Partnership - Partnership in Action: One Year On (report)
- Paris Process on Mobility and Climate (PPMC) daily talk shows on transport and climate change (archived webcasts at bottom of page)
GEF work on Climate Change
- GEF work on Climate Change
- GEF work on Adaptation
- Capacity Building Initiative for Transparency
- Blended Finance
- Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF)
- Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF)