CPE: Philippines (1992 - 2007)
Country Portfolio Evaluation Report
The Philippines is one of the largest recipients of GEF support, with allocations in both climate change and biodiversity, and a well-established GEF Small Grants Programme. The environment sector is an essential part of the country's sustainable development agenda.
- GEF support has been relevant to both national development plans and priorities and the GEF mandate. The support has produced global environmental benefits.
- Lack of compliance and declining environmental trends endanger all these benefits.
- There are several inefficiencies related to the GEF portfolio, having to do with quality of data and procedural transparency.
- The Operational Focal Point has not been institutionalized within the GEF Agencies; this and the appointment of a succession of different Focal Points pose challenges for the interactions between the GEF and the Philippines.
- The GEF should develop mechanisms and procedures for working with large recipients of GEF support.
GEF Council decision
- The Council asked the Secretariat to prepare a proposal for improving country-level coordination and programming.
- The Council asked the Secretariat to ensure transparency and improved access to information on GEF procedures and project progress.