|GEF Project ID||2147|
|IBRD PO ID||85138|
|Funding Source||GEF Trust Fund|
|Project Name||Methyl Bromide Phase-Out Project|
|Region||Europe and Central Asia|
|Focal Area||Ozone Depleting Substances|
|Pipeline Entry Date||2003-06-18|
|CEO Endorsement Date||2007-03-30|
|Project Cancellation Date||2008-01-31|
|Executing Agency||Coordination Committee for Montreal Protocol Implementation. Specific components executed by Ministry of Agriculture or Ministry of Environmental Protection.|
|Description||Feb 2005. WP inclusion.
During project preparation it appeared that:
1) Ukraine wishes to retain capacity for MBr production.
2) MBr consumption is significant.
3) CTC was produced in one facility, mostly as feedstock for CFC-11/12 in the USSR. Ukraine seeks assistance to close that facility which has been idle since 1998.
As a result, the project design addresses the above reality and seeks to:
1) Phase out MBr consumption in the grain sector and reduce use for Quarantine and Pre-shipment.
2) Permanently close the existing CTC production facility, and compensate the Oriana-Halev enterprise that owns it.
3) Capacity building : policy development to support MBr phase out and institutional strengthening to increase the capacity of the Ministry of Environment to meeting its obligations to control and report on ODS phase out efforts.
4) Project implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
(As recorded by the PM at pipeline entry:
"The proposed project aims to assist the Ukraine in achieving compliance with the Copenhagen Amdendment of the Montreal Protocol by enabling closure of its Methyl bromide production facilities and delivering technical assistance for other required control measures.")|
|Implementation Status||The proposal was approved by GEF Council at its February 2005 Intercessional. CEO endorsement scheduled for 6/20/2005.|
|GEF Project Grant|
|GEF Agency Fees|
|GEF Project (CEO Endo.)|
|Cofinancing Total (CEO Endo.)|
|Project Cost (CEO Endo.)|