|Description||The principle objective of the proposed project is to promote sustainable use of natural resources for higher productivity and incomes for the rural farmers of Kenya. The project’s key development goal is to contribute to the modernization of Kenya’s agricultural sector and improvement of the lives and livelihoods of its rural communities through the development , acquisition and application of improved and profitable agricultural technologies and production practices.
The Global Environment objective is to mitigate land degradation in selected priority watersheds through promotion of sustainable land management technology packages and practices that have local and global benefits. This will involve the integrated utilization of soil, water, air, floral and faunal bio-diversity for physical and socio-economic development, paying particular attention to environmental stability.
- To evaluate the current socio-economic status and natural resources management practices within the selected watersheds (Cherangani Hills, Yala River Catchment, Lake Bokoria catchment, Taita Hills, and Kinale)
- To develop, promote and scale-up sustainable natural resource management best practices and policies to achieve greater productivity, of crops, trees and livestock in order to enhance food security income and ecosystem integrity in the selected watersheds.
- To evaluate the impact and assist in designing policies that influence the incentives for the farmers and communities to adopt improved natural resource management practices.
- To enhance the institutional capacity of stakeholders to undertake participatory and multidisciplinary natural resource management research and extension of best management practices.
- To facilitate the exchange of information on best practices in sustainable land management among farmers, communities scientists development partners and policy makers.
- To promote public-private sector marketing mechanisms for economic empowerment of the communities|