A new Global Environment Facility (GEF) supported effort to protect the iconic snow leopard and its natural mountain environment was launched today at the start of the Global Wildlife Program (GWP) annual conference in New Delhi, India.
President of Switzerland, President of Guyana and more than 80 ministers pledge support to combat the global threat of mercury
First environment and health treaty in a decade to give enhanced protection to millions of miners exposed to the toxic heavy metal mercury
Victims of Minamata disease tell the world 'there can never be another Minamata'
A major initiative for the restoration of degraded areas in the Brazilian Amazon calls for the restoration during the next six years of almost 30,000 hectares, which corresponds to an estimated 73 million trees.
Global treaty to halt invasive aquatic species enters into force
A key international measure for environmental protection that aims to stop the spread of potentially invasive aquatic species in ships’ ballast water enters into force today, 8 September 2017.
In an effort to enable sustainable agriculture and reduce deforestation, some of the world’s largest conservation, development and finance organizations, as well as government representatives from major producer countries, gathered at the United Nations in New York today to launch the Good Growth Partnership. &nbs
- Un nuevo acuerdo mundial busca poner fin a los riesgos para la salud y el medio ambiente causados por la contaminación por mercurio.
- El mercurio es un metal pesado que se acumula en el cuerpo y está catalogado por la ONU como una de las 10 sustancias químicas que amenazan la salud y el medio ambiente
- La exposición al mercurio puede dañar el cerebro, el corazón, los riñones, los pulmones y el sistema inmunológico de personas de todas las edades, especialmente de los bebés y los fetos.
- New global agreement to end health risks and environmental damage from mercury pollution
- Mercury is a heavy metal which accumulates in the body and is listed by the UN as one of the top 10 chemicals endangering health and the environment
- Exposure to mercury can harm the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system, particularly in unborn children and babies
UN Development Programme (UNDP) in collaboration with the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and other partners participated today in the Ocean March, with the launch of a new publication ‘Sea, my Life: Protecting Oceans, Sustaining our Future’.
Statement by Naoko Ishii CEO and Chairperson, Global Environment Facility
May 18, 2017
"Today is a pivotal moment in the fight against harmful chemicals and their negative impact on health and the environment.
BRS Press Release