By Dr. Jasmin Abdulaziz Humadi, Deputy Minister of Health and Environment, GEF Operational Focal Point
The Iraqi Ministry of Health and Environment presents its compliments to the Global Environment Facility (GEF) Secretariat and, on behalf of the Iraqi government would like to congratulate it on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of its foundation.
The GEF is one of the main sources of supporting and financing developing countries in implementing projects involved with multilateral international agreements, especially the Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants and the three Rio conventions ( on climate change, desertification and biodiversity). Iraq’s implementation of regional and national projects to improve environmental realities include:
* National Capacity Self-Assessment, which contributed to developing and upgrading the skills of people working in our ministry in implementing Iraq's obligations under the multilateral conventions
* The National Protected Area Network through which natural reserves will be established (in the Al-Taib and Damlj marshes) in southern Iraq.
* Catalyzing the use of solar photovoltaic energy to assist Iraq in reducing greenhouse gas emissions through demonstrating the application of solar power to meet the energy needs of offices, small businesses, residents and town services.
* Preparing the first national report on the Convention on Biological Diversity.
* Preparing a second national communication which will help Iraq implement its commitments under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
* Helping it to prepare Iraq's nationally determined contribution on implementing its obligations under the international framework for reducing greenhouse gases emissions.
Iraq hopes the GEF secretariat will continue to facilitate and support projects it submits for implementation, especially as it is one of the world's more vulnerable countries to climate change.