The 14th Conference of the Parties (COP) to the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) was held in New Delhi, India from September 2-13.
As a financial mechanism of the convention, the GEF was represented by a delegation led by the CEO Naoko Ishii and actively engaged in discussions and events, presenting its report to the COP and its latest efforts in line with GEF-7 to tackle land degradation and desertification in an integrated, systemic approach.
The theme of the COP was “Restore land, sustain future” with a focus on achieving Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN) globally, in line with target 15.3 of the SDGs.
GEF at Rio Pavilion
The GEF is a founder and active partner of the Rio Conventions Pavilion (RCP), a vibrant space for interactive all-day events and meetings, which focus exclusively on synergies among the Rio Conventions on Climate Change, Biological Diversity and Desertification.
Location: Hall 5, MET 11
- Thursday, 5 September 2019 - Evening Reception
GEF-7 and LDN Implementation Support: Turning Plans into Action
Partnerships in Practice: Sustainable Agriculture in the Sub-Saharan Region
This event was co-hosted by SOS Sahel and the GEF Small Grants Programme implemented by UNDP
Financing and Setting-up Enabling Activities for UNCCD under GEF-7
- The New Delhi Declaration: Investing in Land and Unlocking Opportunities (UNCCD Press Release)
- Delhi Declaration: Countries agree to make ‘land degradation neutrality’ by 2030, a national target for action (UN News)
- COP14: Conference reaches major breakthroughs (UNCCD Press Release)
- Close to $1 billion approved for environment and climate action at GEF meetings
- World Day to Combat Desertification 2019: Let's grow the future together
- Voices from the land: Restoring soil and enriching lives
- The Great Green Wall Initiative (English and French)