Suriname’s GEF National Dialogue was held in Paramaribo on 14-15 July. Approximately 70 national GEF stakeholders participated for one and a half days of multi-stakeholder dialogue focusing on raising awareness of the GEF policies and strategies, linking GEF’s strategic priorities to Suriname’s national priorities, and finalizing the country's GEF 4 project portfolio in biodiversity and climate change. This was followed by a site visit to a land degradation GEF Small Grants Programme project. Participants represented the national, provincial, and municipal governments, various universities and research institutes, NGOs, the private sector, international donor organizations, directors of GEF projects, and resource persons from the GEF Secretariat and Agencies.
The Dialogue Agenda responded to the following objectives:
- Integrating GEF into national plans and programs
- Improving communications and outreach to key stakeholders
- Gaining greater understanding of GEF focal area strategies and criteria of the adaptation funds
- Enhancing inter-agency and cross-sectoral collaboration, and building capacity of national agencies for development and implementation of projects
- Finalizing Suriname’s GEF 4 project portfolio in biodiversity and climate change
- Capturing lessons learned through the GEF Small Grants Programme (SGP) and identifying opportunities for up-scaling local experiences.