The annual UN Climate Change Conference (COP24) is taking place 2-14 December, 2018 in Katowice, Poland.
In a Press Release issued at the official opening of the conference, the UNFCCC said the goal was finalizing the implementation guidelines for the Paris Climate Change Agreement. The guidelines will provide clarity on how to implement the landmark agreement fairly and transparently for all.
A summary video presentation of GEF’s submission to the stocktake on pre-2020 implementation and ambition at the COP24 can be found here. The original full GEF submission to the stocktake on pre-2020 implementation and ambition is also available.
GEF Partnership Pavilion
To help confront climate change, we need to transform the systems that support how we live, how we eat, how we move, and how we produce and consume. With a focus on delivering transformational change that will safeguard the climate and other global commons, some 30 events are co-organized with many of the GEF implementing agencies, and other partners.
Gustavo Fonseco opens the 2018 Rio Conventions Pavilion, hosted by the GEF Partnership Pavilion at the COP24. Watch the video here.
Thursday 6th through Saturday 8th the GEF Partnership Pavilion was hosting the Rio Pavilion. For all information about events held there please consult their website here.
Events listed below will be held at the GEF pavilion located at Zone H #2 (across from the Turkish pavilion). A combined agenda (updated daily) can be found here.
- Wednesday, 5 December 2018
- Monday, 10 December 2018
- Event 1: 09:00 – 10:30 Climate action for sustainable rice landscapes. Click to see presentations Inclusive Sustainable Rice Landscapes, GEF-7 Strategy for rice landscape, and Adaptation and mitigation in rice production: Research-based solutions for sustainable development at landscape scale
- Event 2: 11:45 – 13:15 Raising ambition for climate action: A conversation with winners of the global youth video competition 2018
- Event 3: 13:25 – 14:45 Opportunities to build on lessons learned from over 15 years of climate change adaptation in Africa
- Speakers: Mr. Gustavo Fonseca, Program Director, GEF and Ms. Rohini Kohli, Lead Technical Specialist for National Adaptation Plans, UND
- Tuesday, 11 December 2018
- Event 1: 10:00 – 11:30 GCIP’s experiences in promoting high-impact cleantech innovation and entrepreneurs in SMEs in developing countries. Click to see presentation Hight impact cleantech innovations and entrepreneurs in developing countries
- Event 2: 15:30 – 17:00 Integrated approach to urban planning: The importance of a multi-sectoral and multi-level approach. Click to see presentations on Integrated approach to urban planning and Multilevel climate action.
- Opening remarks by Naoko Ishii, CEO and Chairperson, GEF
- Thursday, 13 December 2018
GEF Side Events
The GEF is also organizing two side events which will focus on the two main components of the GEF's Climate Change portfolio: On Climate Change Mitigation and on Climate Change Adaptation.
Date: Tuesday, 11 December 2018, 13:15 - 14:45
Date: Wednesday, 12 December 2018, 13:15 - 14:45
More details on the side events can be found here.
Joint GEF Side Events
Date: Wednesday, 12 December 2018, 09:00 - 10:00
Location: Climate Action Room 1 (Area B)
- Building capacity to enhance transparency - CBIT
- Our Global Commons: Sustainable Cities
- Global Platform for Sustainable Cities and the GEF
- The opportunity of the commons
- NDF supports new climate resilience fund
- Youthful Welcome to COP24 Climate Conference - Young and Future Generations Day
- Adaptation Fund at COP24
- COP24 Kicks off in Katowice next Week: Here’s What You Need to Know
- Nations must triple efforts to reach 2°C target, concludes annual review of global emissions, climate action
- All you Need to Know about Global Climate Action Events at COP24