|Description||[NOTE: ALL NEW COMMENTS AT TIME OF WP INCLUSION IN APRIL 2007 ARE UNDER THE "SUMMARY RECOMMENDATIONS" COLUMN.]
The overall objective of the full project is to develop the NIP for India to meet its obligation with the Convention. To stand by this commitment, the Project will:
- Establish inventories on the production, use, trade, stockpiles and wastes of, and sites contaminated by, the chemicals listed in the Annexes of the Convention and existing in India.
- Develop strategies and action plans for the reduction and elimination of the chemicals listed in Annexes of the Convention, which exist in India.
- Assess infrastructure capacity and propose management options, including institutional arrangements, regulatory frameworks, and requirements for capacity building, raising stakeholder awareness and research and development, to ensure the effective and sustainable implementation of the proposed strategies and action plans and thus facilitate India's preparedness for compliance with the Convention.
- Formulate and gain stakeholder endorsement for a NIP, including priorities and objectives with the aim of estimating the total costs and the incremental costs likely to be incurred for introduction into development and assistance planning.
- Build sustainable capacity sufficient to prepare the NIP and its component inventories, strategies and action plans, and to fulfill ongoing reporting requirements of the Convention.
- Develop and demonstrate methodologies representing practical and feasible approaches to priority actions required by India in meetings its Convention obligations.|