- The artisanal and small-scale gold mining (ASGM) sector accounts for 20 per cent of the world's annual gold production
- As many as 15 million people work in the ASGM sector globally – including 4.5 million women and over 600,000 children
- The ASGM sector is the single largest source of man-made mercury emissions, responsible for the release of as much as 1,000 tonnes of mercury to the atmosphere annually
Katowice, Poland – Climate change threatens a decade of strong economic growth and social gains across Africa, according to a new report launched today by UNDP. The report was launched in coordination with the Africa Adaptation Initiative at this year’s climate talks in Poland, which have brought leaders from across the globe to build momentum to reach the goals outlined in the historic Paris Agreement.
UN Climate Change News, Katowice, 2 December 2018 – Following a year of devastating climate disasters around the globe, from California to Kerala, and Tonga to Japan, the annual UN Climate Change Conference (COP24) opens today with the goal of finalising the implementation guidelines for the Paris Climate Change Agreement. The guidelines will provide clarity on how to implement the landmark agreement fairly and transparently for all.
- Sharm El Sheikh Declaration adopted inviting UN General Assembly to convene a Summit on Biodiversity for heads of State by 2020
- Governments agree to accelerate action to achieve Aichi Biodiversity Targets by 2020
- Agreement on a comprehensive and participatory process to develop post-2020 global biodiversity framework
- Sharm El Sheikh to Beijing Action Agenda for Nature and People launched to mobilize broad stakeholder engagement
A new international effort to combat the negative environmental impacts of the transfer of aquatic species through ships has been launched this week. The GloFouling Partnerships project - a collaboration between the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the International Maritime Organization (IMO) - will address the build-up of aquatic organisms on a ship’s underwater hull and on other marine mobile infrastructure.
The Republic of Seychelles has launched the world’s first sovereign blue bond—a pioneering financial instrument designed to support sustainable marine and fisheries projects.
Heads of state, UN and Business Leaders to attend Sixth GEF Assembly
June 27-28, 2018 | Da Nang, Viet Nam
Heads of state and government, ministers, heads of UN agencies, top business people and academics, and NGO leaders, will meet in Da Nang, Viet Nam from June 27-28, for the Global Environment Facility's (GEF) Assembly.
Des pays s’engagent à verser 4,1 milliards de dollars au Fonds pour l’environnement mondial
Los países prometen USD 4100 millones al Fondo para el Medio Ambiente Mundial
Countries pledge US$4.1 billion to the Global Environment Facility