Xiaomei Tan is a Senior Climate Change Specialist. She manages GEF’s Energy and Transport Portfolio. Her main responsibilities include:
- Serving as a lead technical specialist for GEF’s energy and transport investment, advising GEF management and staff on strategy and interventions on policy and operational issues.
- Coordinating and screening energy & transport-related funding applications, advising client countries on cost effectiveness, legal and regulatory readiness, and technical soundness.
- Managing portfolio and oversee individual projects to ensure deliverables that meet GEF corporate target – avoiding 1500 million metric tons of CO2e from entering the atmosphere in the time frame of 2018-2022.
Some of her current portfolio includes:
1. Integrated Adoption of New Energy Vehicles. The project aims to integrate the transport system with the energy system through developing vehicles to grid and renewable to vehicles technologies. The total investment is $135 million.
2. Sustainable Cities Integrated Approach Pilot. The pilot covers transport, energy, solid waste and other key urban sectors in 27 cities across 11 countries. The total investment is $1.65 billion.
3. Achieving Efficient and Green Freight Development in China. The project aims to improve the efficiency of China's freight and logistics sector and reduce the sector's carbon emissions. The total investment is $165 million.
4. Clean Energy Scheme in Low-Carbon City in Shanghai: A $200 million investment in demonstrating a zero-emission building and retrofitting large-scale commercial buildings in Shanghai’s dense urban center. The project covers both distributed energy generation and building energy efficiency technology.