The Council, the GEF's main governing body, comprises 32 members appointed by constituencies of GEF member countries (14 from developed countries, 16 from developing countries, and two from economies in transition). Council members rotate at different intervals determined by each constituency. The Council, which meets twice annually, develops, adopts and evaluates the operational policies and programs for GEF-financed activities. It also reviews and approves the work program (projects submitted for approval), making decisions by consensus.
On the final day of the 64th Council meeting, the Global Environment Facility’s governing board approved plans to establish a “game-changing” new fund to finance the implementation of the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework, which aims to put nature on a recovery path by the end of this decade.
IISD Council Coverage
IISD Earth Negotiations Bulletin provided event coverage with daily summaries and photos.
- FAO, CAF and partner agencies tasked with leading $115 million Clean and Healthy Oceans Program (CAF)
- The Eastern Tropical Pacific Marine Corridor - CMAR and Conservation International are granted $16 million in GEF funding for protection and management (CI)
- Conservation International granted record-breaking $90 million in GEF funding, named lead partner for multiple restoration programs (CI)
- FAO and partner agencies tasked with leading $115 million Clean and Healthy Oceans Program (FAO)
- Global Environment Facility approves 26 FAO-led projects to transform agrifood systems into solutions for environmental challenges (FAO)
- New FAO-led bioeconomy project in Pakistan scoops multimillion dollar grant (FAO)
- New USD 42.4 million programme set to boost primary forest conservation in Asia’s Indo-Malaya subregion (FAO/IUCN)
- IUCN to implement USD 88.6 million of GEF’s new work program (IUCN)
- UNDP deploys record US$500 million of Global Environment Facility funds to ramp up the fight against biodiversity loss and climate change (UNDP)
- Circular solutions in focus in landmark global investment to tackle plastic pollution (UNEP)
- Nature the winner in record GEF funding announcement (UNEP)
- UNIDO projects to benefit from record Global Environment Facility funding (UNIDO)
- UN agencies head up new $115 million push for cleaner, healthier oceans (UN News)
The Fonseca Leadership Program
Approved by the GEF Council in December 2022 initially as the "Gustavo Fonseca Youth Conservation Leadership Program," the new innovative program supports the professional development of promising young conservationists from developing countries.
The program, in honor of tropical scientist Gustavo Fonseca, the GEF’s long-serving Director of Programs who passed away in August 2022, will include conservation fellowships, grants for biodiversity field work, awards for participation in international conservation events, and a recurrent global conservation symposium bringing together young environmental leaders.
“This program will focus on youth and their role in the future of environmental governance and stewardship. Young people from developing countries play a critical role in effecting future change and the GEF is strongly committed to supporting their research, studies, professional development, and leadership,” said Carlos Manuel Rodriguez, the GEF’s CEO and Chairperson.
|GEF/C.64/Jointsummary||Joint Summary of the Co-Chairs|
|GEF/E/C.64/01/Rev.02||Evaluation of The GEF’s Approach and Interventions in Water Security|
|GEF/E/C.64/02/Rev.01||Strategic Country Cluster Evaluation of the Lower Mekong River Basin Ecosystem|
|GEF/E/C.64/03/Rev.01||Four-Year Work Program and Budget of the GEF Independent Evaluation Office: GEF-8|
|GEF/E/C.64/Inf.01/Rev.01||GEF IEO Annual Performance Report 2023|
|GEF/STAP/C.64/Inf.01||Report of the Chair of the Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel|
|GEF/STAP/C.64/Inf.02||Policy Coherence in the GEF|
|GEF/STAP/C.64/Inf.03||Incorporating Co-benefits in the Design of GEF Projects|
|GEF/STAP/C.64/Inf.04||A Workshop on Knowledge Managementand Learning in the GEF: Agency Experiences with Integrated Programming|
|GEF/STAP/C.64/Inf.05||Exploratory Future Narratives Primer|
|GEF/STAP/C.64/Inf.06||Leveraging Innovation for Transformational Change|