The annual UN Climate Change Conference (COP24) took place 2-14 December, 2018 in Katowice, Poland.
In a Press Release issued at the official opening of the conference, the UNFCCC said the goal was finalizing the implementation guidelines for the Paris Climate Change Agreement. The guidelines will provide clarity on how to implement the landmark agreement fairly and transparently for all.
A summary video presentation of GEF’s submission to the stocktake on pre-2020 implementation and ambition at the COP24 can be found here. The original full GEF submission to the stocktake on pre-2020 implementation and ambition is also available.
A video, Catalyzing Transformation: GEF at Climate COP24, captures some of the highlights of GEF's activities at the conference.
GEF Partnership Pavilion
The GEF Partnership Pavilion at COP24 hosted a series of events, briefings, launches and receptions.
To help confront climate change, we need to transform the systems that support how we live, how we eat, how we move, and how we produce and consume. With a focus on delivering transformational change that will safeguard the climate and other global commons, some 30 events were co-organized with many of the GEF implementing agencies, and other partners.
Thursday 6th through Saturday 8th the GEF Partnership Pavilion hosted the Rio Pavilion. More details on events held there can be found on their website.
Events listed on all other days were held at the GEF pavilion located at Zone H #2 (across from the Turkish pavilion).
GEF Side Events
The GEF also organized two side events which focused on the two main components of the GEF's Climate Change portfolio: Climate Change Mitigation and Climate Change Adaptation.
More details on the side events can be found here.
- Building capacity to enhance transparency - CBIT
- Our Global Commons: Sustainable Cities
- Global Platform for Sustainable Cities and the GEF
- The opportunity of the commons
- Wrap up of GEF side events at COP24
- Climate change is pushing Africa to a tipping point, threatening economic and development gains
- NDF supports new climate resilience fund
- Youthful Welcome to COP24 Climate Conference - Young and Future Generations Day
- Adaptation Fund at COP24
- COP24 Kicks off in Katowice next Week: Here’s What You Need to Know
- Nations must triple efforts to reach 2°C target, concludes annual review of global emissions, climate action
- All You Need to Know about Global Climate Action Events at COP24